Our Lips Are Sealed


NWCFL First Division North

A game of two halves they say. Well this was kind of like that, if one half was 30 minutes long and the other 60.

Following a nice tootle over the hills of Lancashire and into Yorkshire passing through Cowling, a ground there seen that I need to head back for. We dropped down to Cougar Park, home of Keighley Cougars and Steeton AFC. This is a gem of a stadium for non-league footy, another Rugby League ground I have seen footy at, a list that I hope to continue to grow beyond the few I have already attended. I need to look into getting to more.

Money paid, last programme bought, raffle tickets bought (not sure if we won or not) we went into the clubhouse for a bit of food and a drink and straight back out for kick-off. It was a good job we did as seconds into the game a burst of speed by the hosts Jeffery saw him through on goal and he slotted the ball past the keeper Kitchen, 1-0.

Garstang were straight into the game after that but just could not get going. Ten minutes in we had a delay; after a 2 minute wait for the hosts keeper to change his boots, then another minute whilst he put his gloves on we got back underway. The game was even, both teams trying to create without quite managing it, a number of balls disappearing into the Industrial Estates surrounding the ground it looked increasingly like we had were in for a cagey game.

Then came a game changing moment, Steeton wasting an outstanding chance to make it 2-0, a goalmouth scramble ensued, but the score remained the same. That was their chance. Five or so minutes later instead of being two goals ahead they game was level. A deep cross from the reds right-back Melling was perfect, Coar of the #10 variety simply nodded it in through Thorpey’s grasp. Maybe those gloves hadn’t been put back on correctly. 1-1.

After the break the game was as one-sided as I have seen for a while. Yes Steeton had moments, but they were too late and too infrequent. A minute after the restart and we had another goal at the Terry Hollindrake Stand, this wasn’t as stylish, but very simple. Coar #10 crossed to the far post for Coar #9 to nod in. 1-2.

Garstang controlled things so much from here on in you had to wonder if they would regret not taking the number of chances they created. Luckily for the Lancashire side they didn’t. With 10 minutes to go they made the game safe. Again scorer turned provider, Coar #9 passing to Hothersall who had the simple task of putting the ball home. 1-3.

The final goal came courtesy of the guy who didn’t have the greatest afternoon of his life; Steeton’s keeper Thorpey. He dropped a corner straight to Coar #9. He did the rest. 1-4.

On this performance and having watched a few teams from this league this season, how on earth are Garstang near the foot of the table?

Attendance: 106

Moment of the Match: Not a match moment. The main stand at Cougar Park is a beauty. If you have not been then go. It is a gem.

Match Tunes: Beauty and the Beat – The Go-Go’s

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s